Ste. Genevieve County, Missouri Genealogy
Ste. Genevieve County, Missouri genealogy and family history research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy information to help you you locate your personal Ste. Genevieve Co., ancestors. Start now by putting together a Free Family Tree.
St Genevieve County was created on October 1, 1812 as one of the five original counties. The county was named in honor of St. Genevieve (c. 420 – c. 510), the patron saint of Paris in Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox tradition .
The St Genevieve County Seat is situated in Sainte Genevieve and in addition the county government website is www.stegencounty.org
Areas surrounding St Genevieve County include Jefferson County (northwest), Monroe County (northeast), Randolph County, Illinois (east), Perry County (southeast), St. Francois County (southwest).
Cities and towns to be found in St Genevieve County include Bloomsdale, Clearwater, Coffman, New Offenburg, River aux Vases, Rocky Ridge, St. Mary, Ste. Genevieve, Weingarten, Womack.
St Genevieve County has Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1820 (missing), 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. St Genevieve Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. St Genevieve Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. St Genevieve Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. St Genevieve Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Ste. Genevieve County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Ste. Genevieve County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Missouri Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Ste. Genevieve Historical & Genealogical Society, 255 Market St, Ste Genevieve MO 63670
- Ste. Genevieve Museum, Merchant and Dubourg, Ste. Genevieve, MO 63670; Phone: (573) 883-3881
- Foundation for Restoration of Ste. Genevieve, P.O. Box 88, 198 South Second, Ste. Genevieve, MO 63670; Phone: (573) 883-9622
- Ste. Genevieve County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Ste. Genevieve County
- Ste. Genevieve County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Ste. Genevieve County
- USGenWeb Archives for Ste. Genevieve County
Ste. Genevieve County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the value of Ste. Genevieve County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the ambitions and worries of many Missouri residents.
The odds are great that your potential ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least a number of aspects of their lives in the Ste. Genevieve County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
You need to call the clerk's dept to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other facts before visiting or looking for information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will guide men and women in locating the resources, but it's up to the particular person to complete the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Ste. Genevieve county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for this county which may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, court records, and so forth.
- Ste. Genevieve County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 55 S. Third St., Ste. Genevieve, MO 63670
- Ste. Genevieve County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: 573-883-2706
- Marriage Records: 1807 (including Index to marriage records, (no dates); Marriage records, 1807-1929; Index to miscellaneous records, 1761-1854; Miscellaneous records (Concessions, Contracts, Deeds and Slave Deeds), 1761-1837)
- Land Records: 1804 (including Index to deeds, 1804-1896; Deed records, 1804-1902)
- Ste. Genevieve County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Phone: (573) 883-2705
- Probate Records: 1807 (including Index to probate records, 1807-1917; Probate records, 1828-1886; Index to administrator’s/executor’s letters, bonds and records, 1807-1917; Administrator’s/executor’s letters, bonds and records, 1879-1915; Index to will records, 1807-1917; Will records, 1807-1917)
- Court & Divorce Records: 1804 (including Index to circuit court records, 1819-1902; Circuit court records, 1819-1893; Naturalization records, 1888-1930)
- Ste. Genevieve County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Phone: (573) 883-5779
- Birth & Death Records: 1883–92 (including Register of births and stillbirths, 1883-1892; Permanent record of births, 1883-1892; Register of deaths, 1883-1892; Permanent record of deaths, 1883-1892; Record of common pleas, 1804-1819; State census 1868)
- Ste. Genevieve County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. They are prime sources for genealogical information.
Missouri Historical Records
- Databases include Missouri Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Missouri Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Missouri Voter Lists & Census Records; Missouri Immigration & Emigration Records; Missouri Obituary Records; Missouri Military Records; Missouri Family Tree Records; Missouri Pictures; Missouri Stories, Memories & Histories; Missouri Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Ste. Genevieve County Genealogy Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Ste. Genevieve County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own most liked Ste. Genevieve County genealogy or family history related sites.
Ste. Genevieve Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Ste. Genevieve Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Ste. Genevieve Co. MO Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Ste. Genevieve Co. MO Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Ste. Genevieve Co. MO Census Records
Ste. Genevieve Co. MO Cemeteries & Graveyards
Ste. Genevieve Co. MO Church & Bible Records
Ste. Genevieve Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Ste. Genevieve Co. MO General and History Websites
Ste. Genevieve Co. MO Military Records
Ste. Genevieve Co. MO Schools & Directories