Wright County, Missouri Genealogy
Wright County, Missouri genealogy and family history research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy information to help you you locate your personal Wright Co., ancestors. Start now by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Wright County was created on January 29, 1841 from Pulaski County. The county was named in honor of Silas Wright (1795–1847), an American Democratic politician and Governor of New York.
The Wright County Seat is situated in Hartville and in addition the county government website is www.wcida.com/
Areas surrounding Wright County include Laclede County (north), Texas County (east), Douglas County (south), Webster County (west).
Cities and towns to be found in Wright County include Graff, Grovespring, Hartville, Macomb, Manes, Mansfield, Mountain Grove, Norwood.
Wright County has Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Wright Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Wright Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Wright Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Wright Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Wright County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Wright County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Missouri Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Laura Ingalls Wilder/ Rose Wilder Lane, Home and Museum, 3068 Highway A, Mansfield, MO 65704, Phone: (417) 924-3626
- Wright County Historical and Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 66, 101 East Rolla, Hartville, MO 65667, Phone: (417) 741-6265
- Ozarks Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 3945, 534 West Catalpa, Springfield, MO 65808; Phone: (417) 831-2773
- Wright County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Wright County
- Wright County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Wright County
- USGenWeb Archives for Wright County
Wright County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the value of Wright County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the ambitions and worries of many Missouri residents.
The odds are great that your potential ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least a number of aspects of their lives in the Wright County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
You need to call the clerk's dept to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other facts before visiting or looking for information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will guide men and women in locating the resources, but it's up to the particular person to complete the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Wright county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for this county which may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, court records, and so forth.
In 1849 courthouse was burned and partially destroyed in 1862. The courthouse burned, reportedly January 11, 1863. A tornado damaged the building in 1888 .County Court records for Wright County were destroyed in an 1896 fire.
- Wright County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 125 Court Square, Hartville, MO 65667
- Wright County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: 417-741-7121
- Marriage Records: 1897 (including Marriage records, 1897-1921)
- Land Records: 1853 (including Index to deeds, 1853-1894; Deed records, 1866-1896; Patent records, 1895-1903)
- Wright County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Probate Records: 1853 (including Probate records, 1853-1886; Administrator’s/executor’s letters, bonds and records, 1884-1896; Proof of publication, notices and affidavits, 1872-1889; Guardian’s/curator’s records, 1872-1928; Will records, 1864-1926)
- Court & Divorce Records: 1895 (including Index to circuit court records, 1895-1903)
- Wright County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Phone: (417) 741-6661
- Birth & Death Records: ?
- Wright County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. They are prime sources for genealogical information.
Missouri Historical Records
- Databases include Missouri Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Missouri Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Missouri Voter Lists & Census Records; Missouri Immigration & Emigration Records; Missouri Obituary Records; Missouri Military Records; Missouri Family Tree Records; Missouri Pictures; Missouri Stories, Memories & Histories; Missouri Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Wright County Genealogy Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Wright County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own most liked Wright County genealogy or family history related sites.
Wright Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Wright Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Wright Co. MO Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Wright Co. MO Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Wright Co. MO Census Records
Wright Co. MO Cemeteries & Graveyards
Wright Co. MO Church & Bible Records
Wright Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Wright Co. MO General and History Websites
Wright Co. MO Military Records
Wright Co. MO Schools & Directories